Wednesday, January 14, 2009

On The New Year

Oh gosh! Since I've last posted, I've:
a.) said hello to a new year
b.) gone back to school
c.) and tried to figure out my future!

As you can see, I've been quite busy. xD I worked some over Christmas break on finally finishing my quilt, but alas it looks like it will still be a WIP for a bit longer. I finished the quilt top probably a year and a half ago, I "quilted" it last winter break (tied it), but then never got around to binding it. Oops! So I'm on something like year three of working on it. !!! (In my defense, I only ever seem to really work on it during winter break- otherwise, I'm in school, or it's just too dang hot out for me to really want to curl up with loads of fabric and sew!) It's all sewn by hand, and of course since it's my first quilt I've made an infinite number of mistakes. I figured everything out as I went along, with a little bit of help from Google of course. I think the biggest mistake I made was in piecing it together. I wasn't sure what sort of stitch to use, so I used a very tight whip stitch. For every piece. Of the entire thing. Oh my! Later on, when I took the finished quilt top to a fabric store to get some backing fabric that would coordinate with the front, the salespeople were quite confused. They were surprised it wasn't machine-stitched, too! I went a little nuts I guess, haha. I just wanted to make sure it would be durable, so I did the best that I could. :-) Oh well, it was quite labor-intensive, but a lot of love went into making it, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

But next time, I will definitely just go with the running stitch! (And maybe even use a sewing machine, ooooh! Haven't touched one since middle school home ec class...! That could be an adventure in its own right. :D)

Here are some pics of the never-ending quilt~

A close up of the stitching (I like this picture a lot, it's very soft looking, the colors are nice too!)
Laying out the quilt after the main part of the quilt top was done, trying to figure out the border~
Front and back completed, tying completed! (I thought it'd be fun to mix the modern colors with the more quaint tying method.)
Close up of the nearly completed quilt.. bad lighting, but you get the gist. Can you tell I like color? Haha!
Another picture of the nearly completed quilt.. unbound edges, but see how thick and soft it looks all piled up like that? :-)

And here is a rooster pic, to keep the tradition alive!


Love and Best,
your Bee ♥

1 comment:

VJ said...

Jennifer loves quilting - you should come over some time and you guys can have a quilting party, just like the little old ladies you are :)